Joining the military doesn’t have to be a stressful process. So why do some people have a stressful experience and some have a great experience? I believe joining the military can and should be a great experience with little or no stress. Here are 6 enlistment tips to make joining the military easy:
1. Do Your Homework! Second guessing the branch of the military you have chosen to join will weigh heavy on your mind. You need to do research, talk with recruiters, and have your mind made up about which branch you are going to join BEFORE you swear-in.
2. Be Prepared! There are certain thing you will need to join, state or federally issued ID, birth certificate, social security card, and education documents are always going to be required. There could be other documents required so be prepared to obtain whatever documents you may need.
3. Have an Idea of what job you want to do or don’t want to do! Not everybody knows the exact job they want to do but many people have an idea of what they don’t want to do. The better prepared you are about the jobs you want or don’t want, the less pressure you will have when it comes time to pick jobs!
4. Make time! Joining the military is going to require time on your part. Getting documents, going to the recruiter’s office, and going to the MEPS all take time. It is very frustrating for your recruiter and stressful for you if you are not prepared to invest the time to join. If you work you WILL have to take off for a couple of days to go to the MEPS. Recruiters will try to work around your work schedule but it doesn’t always work out.
5. Bring the right attitude! This is by far the most important tip. You and only you get to pick what your attitude is going to be. Being positive and being flexible will make the process go much smoother. Not everything will always go as planned, being able to adjust will ease your stress and make your overall process much more fun.
6. Stay involved and loyal to the military! There must be a good reason you chose to join the military, you need to make sure your friends know about all the great advantages the military has to offer. Also stay involved with the military through your recruiter. He or she can always use some extra help, just ask!
Joining the military is a big step in anyone’s life but it doesn’t have to be stressful. These 6 enlistment tips will make the process much smoother and in turn will make joining the military easy.
What tips do you have to make joining easier?